Montessori Baby

The author, trained as a Montessori primary teacher (AMI), documents and analyzes her efforts to raise a "Montessori" baby.

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Lessons for Twos

I'm on the lookout for good activities for Alex...to get the ball rolling, I thought I'd share some that we've done recently. Hope others have good ideas!

-Slicing cucumbers
-Sharpening pencils
-Washing hands
-Putting on pants
-Setting the table
-Rolling and unrolling a placemat
-Dusting
-Spreading peanut butter on a tortilla
-Catching balloons
-Shooting baskets
-Drawing with crayons, markers, pens, etc.

-Matching shapes, colors
-Smelling spices
-Finding things in the house that are a particular color
-Using shapes to create patterns
-Puzzles

-Reading books

One of the things I'm finding is that I have trouble sustaining a series of activities - we often do one and then sort of roam about afterward. I wonder what others experience at this age? Do I just not have enough out to do?

4 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger VB said...

maybe some outdoor work/activities as well. i have my 13 month old outside 'helping' to rake the leaves. he loves it!
maybe pulling weeds, washing car, naming trees/plants/ their colors???

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Kdela said...

Listening to music and mimicking the instrument sounds with your voice.

Hopping like a bunny.

Taking care of a baby doll. My 16 month old feeds the baby, rocks her, gives her something to drink, wraps her in a blanket, takes her for a walk in the stroller--pushing her around.

Doing simple yoga poses. Kids like to hang upside down and mimic you.

Crayola has window markers and my 3 year old loves to draw on the windows, spray water with a spray bottle to clean it off and wipe it off with a hand cloth. His younger sister, 16 months, helps to clean up with a rag. She isn't strong enough to use the spray bottle yet. This takes about 30 minutes of time. All of this is contained in a box that he can transport to the window and put away later.

 
At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Space for the child to run and make full use of all that energy to build up those large motor skills... it's not easy to hold them still... I fully comprehend that...

you aren't alone, I have a 27mth old boy...who is restless and need expend all those pented up energy all the time...

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm excited to have found your blog. I have a 9 mo old boy and I am interested in beginning more formal Montessori activities with him (I know, I know, I should've started earlier). I was a teacher and learned some Montessori through my principal, who used to be a Montessori directoress. Anyway, I would love to read what you were doing at 9 mos...will you direct me as to where to start in your archives? Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home